Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: outbound traffic security risk

From: "Mitchell Rowton" <mrowton () bdo com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:04:27 -0500

Allowing all outbound traffic also increases the likelihood of backdoors
into your network.

http://www.securitydocs.com/links/detail/803

Plus, most of the scans constantly hitting everyones network originates
from a network that doesn't filter outbound traffic.  Of course it would
be hard for an ISP to restrict outbound port 80 traffic, but msrpc and
sql are examples that could be blocked unless needed for specific hosts.
 In general, I think that people who don't attempt egress filtering are
bad internet citizens who contribute to my bloated IDS logs.

"Hilal Hussein" <hilalma () hotmail com> 03/23/04 03:50AM >>>
Dear List,

I would like to ask about the risk of opening outbound port traffics in
the
firewall.

currently, i am opening the outbound ports traffic based on the user
request, as pop3, and smtp traffics. I red about some risk that could
be in
some kind of outbound traffics which might pass java scripts, or trojan

horses, or other kind of attacks during the opened session from users
(inside the network) to the outbound.

so please, i need to know of any risk that could come with some kind of

outbound traffics, and if there is a good link for resources about the

latest news of vulnerabilities of such outbound traffics.

your respond is highly appreciated,

with regards,

Hilal

NOTICE:
The contents of this email and any attachments to it may contain privileged and confidential information from BDO
Seidman, LLP.  This information is only for the viewing or use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of any action in
reliance upon, the information contained in this e-mail, or any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly
prohibited and that this e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be immediately returned to BDO
Seidman, LLP or destroyed and, in either case, this e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately
deleted from your computer without making any copies thereof.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
BDO Seidman, LLP by e-mail immediately.