Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Putting MS servers behind firewalls

From: Johann_van_Duyn () bat com
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:32:04 +0200

Hmmm... IPSec won't help much against compromised internal hosts, if that
is what the original post seeks to address.

How about putting an app proxy firewall (careful... possible latency
issues here...) between the servers and the workstations, and set MS
Exchange to communicate on specific ports (this can be done via registry
settings, as I remember...) rather than promiscuously assigning RPC ports?
Then you set the firewall to pass CIFS (or SMB, depending on what the
specific firewall calls it...) traffic between the workstation network and
the server network, and ditto for traffic on the ports you limit Exchange
to using. The CIFS proxy will deal with File and Print as well as AD,
while a custom protocol will deal with Exchange.

I have something similar (just Notes instead of Exchange) between our
country office and head office, and it works very well (with a Symantec
Gateway Security appliance with firewall (Symantec enterprise Firewall),
IDS/IPS and AV switched on).

If you get a multi-function applicance with proxy firewall, IDS/IPS and AV
scanning (for WWW, FTP and SMTP) enabled, you will be protecting your
servers fairly well, if your configurations are anywhere near sane.

Caveat: some app proxy firewalls may need some tuning in order to prevent
possible DoS due to the sheer volume of USP traffic that AD can generate.

A good idea may be to set up a mini-lab with 3 workstations and an
Exchange/AD/Fileserver, and test a few configurations with demo versions
of various firewalls and appliances... this should give you a feel for
what can realistically be done.

Cheers

J o h a n n   v a n   D u y n, CISSP
"A human being should be able to change a diaper,
 plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building,
 write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone,
 comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
 solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
 cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

 Specialization is for insects."

     -- Robert Heinlein

"Dan Harp" <danh () brenius net>
Sent by: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
08-06-2004 18:28