Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Putting MS servers behind firewalls

From: "Michael H" <af_pilot33 () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 08:40:18 -0700

What are the exact services you are trying to run through the fw? I use to have Outlook running through our pix fw, but because I got paranoid about having so many ports open I now force users to use OWA (through ssl) or log in to the VPN.

When we were using Outlook, I did following the MS KB article and forced it to use only the ports I chose and opened those up on the fw. Worked like a champ, but again, bad idea in my eyes.

I'm curious about what other services you're talking about running through. Are these services exposed to the Internet or some Intranet?

regards,
Michael