Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Hardware tokens for remote access authentication

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:19:12 +0400

nuqneH,

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:33:15PM -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Vin McLellan wrote:
See Kevin Kadow's April '99 post to Bugtraq, "FWTK, Gauntlet 'random seed' security >problem," at:
<http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/19990416203627.15201.qmail>.

      Kadow's attack is heavily reliant on shell-level access to the
      auth server. Anyone who gave shell-level access to their auth
      server has already voided the warranty. ;) You're not supposed
      to do that!!!  Kadow's at least intellectually honest enough to
      mention in his writeup that normal FWTK/Gauntlet configuration
      practice is to only allow connections to authsrv on the loopback
      port, which completely defeats the attack unless the attacker
      is ON the machine. That's how it was designed to be run, and
      that's how it was configured in Gauntlet. In other words, the
      attack would never work against a system that had not already
      been misconfigured to the point of stupidity.

BTW, not really completely, unless you use encryption patch. There may be
ways to trick some proxy to connect to loopback interface (unless explicitly
denied in netperm-table).

That's why we included unix socket support in our authsrv replacement.