Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Port 37628....Is it just another port or out of the extra ordinary???

From: InHisGrip <servie_platon () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:12:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone,

With all due respect and I mean not to offend anyone
on this thread. I would like to air some of my views
on this matter.

To trace back, and for everyone's information. I
posted to this thread a few days back. As I was
planning of setting up an apache and postfix server in
my own home network. I have already installed a pre
configured and have selected all the packages that I
need, this includes, apache rpm, postfix, ssh and
kernel development functionality. So I just chose the
packages that I needed.

Now, I have my apache running and serving http pages
in and out of my small home network. However, I got
alarmed when I found out using the lsof -i and netstat
 -nplee -A inet commands that there were some services
and port on a listen mode. So I took the initiative to
ask some questions to this group because I wanted to
secure this apache box of mine and my home network.
Some suggested to remove rpc, nfslock, portmap or what
have we, to secure my box.

Though, we all know that practically there is no
single system here that is impenetrable, well there
could be one now but maybe not anymore in the near
future. But looking into the ways and means of
thwarting or limiting the chances is well worth the
effort.

For some in this group may have answered to my
questions on a harsh note. However, I was still
fortunate enough to have some tips and valuable
insights from helpful people like Victor, Luca, Kerry,
Bruce, Chuck, Paul and even yourself.

I understand what you mean about your post, though I
may have a running system and web server at that. I
could just do up2date and download bugfixes and
security updates from redhat site if I feel lazy. But
I felt that I wanted to go beyond that or push myself
to the limit or to the edge. I hope by doing so, I
don't fall off the cliff??? lol....

I do believe that Redhat and other companies who make
and develop linux distros are 24/7 doing their best to
make their respective distros secure and safe, no
doubt about it. And I agree with your point on that
issue.

But in fairness to Victor, I think his point is mainly
to customize one's machine so that only the necessary
services are put to its optimum performance and
probably lesser maintenance and security headaches.

My analogy here is that if I install from the CD
Fedora Core 2 from scratch with the default
installation in mind. I will be just getting a sedan
car for myself.... But if I want to customize this
sedan car and make it in a rallye racing condition, I
need to add features and make some changes such as
rear spoilers, magwheels, side skirt, nitrogen gas
booster or whatever modification  I have in mind. Now,
if I compile my kernel or do some additional changes
to this box, I make it into my preferred machine.

I may not be a linux expert myself since I am new to
linux. And whatever theories that were taught by my
instructor from school where all but mere theoritical
illustrations. It's still the practical application of
the the lessons or theories in real situation that
matters most. And for me, I still have a long way to
go. I am happy that there are still some fine people
out there who is willing to give a helping hand and I
appreciate the help.

I feel humbled to this group because everytime I post,
I am unsure if someone will read it and bother
answering it anyways. Though I tried very hard to read
the books that I have as well as the howtos but as I
have said, whatever is written in the books/manuals
may be slightly different in in real scenarios. So, I
resort to all the user groups in linux that I am
member of.

Again, may I take this opportunity of thanking
everyone on this group who have tried in one way or
another give some assistance.

Thank you and more power to this group. Hope you guys
never get tired of helping out newbies like me. And
hopefully maybe in the future I may also reply to
questions and be able to help those in need.

Thanks a lot guys!!!

InHisGrip,
Servie

--- vbwilliams () neb rr com wrote:
I don't get your point...if there is one.

The kernels that come with any distro are compiled
for the masses.  I don't compile mine for the
masses.  I statically compile what I KNOW I need,
and everything else is left out.  You can't modprobe
anything into the kernels I compile...I always
remove the ability to do so.  If it isn't started at
boot time, I'm confident it's not going to get
started.  I think any internet-facing machine that's
actively serving something on the internet for a
customer should adhere to that rule.  That's my
opinion...my opinion isn't going to change because
anyone else disagrees with it.  It's what I've found
to work more than any other method of
deployment/implementation over the last decade of
working with any distribution of Linux.  Likewise,
it's also my opinion that any internet facing
machine NOT have any *tools* on it that allow the
modification and compilation/execution of code on
that machine.  That means on an internet facing
machine I admin, there's no gcc tools on it...it's
the
bare essentials to run, plus whatever service I
need, be it Apache or anything else.  DOes that mean
I have completely discounted the work that people at
Red Hat or the kernel developers have done?  No.  It
just means I don't think their bloat should be on an
internet facing machine.  My regular workstation and
laptop run the full bloat stock Red Hat installation
.  But there's no way in hell I'd put the same thing
on a production machine serving 1 or 2 things, whose
hardware will more than likely not change in the
next 3-4 years.

That is the difference between taking something that
someone hands you, or doing it yourself and giving
yourself peace of mind because you've decreased the
possibility of something getting introduced into
your system that could compromise it.

Why it would peeve you, I have no idea.  I don't
just blindly trust what the kernel developers give
me either.  I testbed EVERY version of the Linux
kernel that I'm thinking about deploying, before I
ever deploy it...and I look at every change I have
time to look at...I look at the changes in release
candidates every day...even if it's just eyeballing
them.  So, no, I don't just blindly trust Red Hat,
Suse, or the kernel developers either.

And by the way, the last two Red Hat updates for
kernels have addressed vulnerabilities in THEIR
implementations.  Know why any machine I admin
wasn't affected even though they were all Red Hat
based?  Because the kernels I was using were not
provided by Red Hat.  I ran the
vulnerabilities/exploits against them...had no
effect.  Reason is simple...I wasn't running a
version of the kernel that was affected...I was
running my own.

I do the same thing with OpenSSL, OpenSSH, and
Apache...and any other service I NEED.

another port or out of the extra ordinary???