Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPS (was: Sources for Extranet Designs?)

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () jmu edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:08:17 -0500

Paul Robertson wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Can you explain how these "signatures" and "protocol anomaly" detectors
and "behavior and flow capabilities" are going to NOT suffer all the problems
with false positives that caused Gartner to announce that IDS was a
failure?

It's worse, IMO- I think IPS is the loss of default deny/principle of
least priv. - so rather than strengthening rulesets to stop more bad
stuff, we're back to the "prove it's bad, then we block it" mentality-
that's never worked for security before, and I don't see how it's going
to work now.

It's no wonder proponents are touting universities (apologies to the .edu
admins on this list who've overcome those battles the hard way)- where the
prove it bad mentality has had it's best survival rate.

Hmmm, it sounds like you're assuming that universities have or had
a default deny rule. :)

As I mentioned in my previous response, we're basically a broadband
ISP provider to 70-80% of the computers on our network - student
home computers. While a default deny rule might be a good corporate
strategy with limited and well-defined communications needs, it
doesn't play well to the average home user...whether their Internet
connection is provided by a university network or a commercial
broadband home connection. I get complaints because I make games slow
or unusable. :(

And yeah, we could certainly do more in that realm in the
non-student areas, and yeah, "academic freedom" is often
overused as an excuse, but we do have different needs than
a less fluid organization.

That said, we've had several discussions about how we'd implement
a general default deny rule recently. And we do have default deny
rules in interior portions of the network.

Now that we've actually gotten back to the point where firewalls are
capable of doing application layer decisions, it seems rather silly to
toss that back out again and go with yet-another-miracle.

On what applications? Certainly not all the ones
I see go through our Internet connections.

Can you write your own inspection rules for the typical firewall?

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer - Technical Services