Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: IPS (was: Sources for Extranet Designs?)

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:42:00 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Some of the network IPS vendors are profiting from the need to throttle undesirable traffic (file sharing) at
universities.

Anyone on the list care to corroborate this?

I've heard of some people throwing these up to try to stave off the RIAA
lawyers- but I think that makes it more of an anti-lawsuit technology than
a security technology- basically it's a shoring up of the bad apple
defense- if by throttle, he means "prevent," otherwise everyone I know is
using firewalls or routers to do bandwidth limitation.

[The folks who'd buy this are probably the same ones who's silly content
filters blocked your original message based on one keyword, s__y!]

Paul