Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sources for Extranet Designs?

From: jseymour () LinxNet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:02:39 -0500 (EST)

"Baumann, Sean C." <Sean.Baumann () celera com> wrote:

[snip]

Perhaps I need to investigate something that can perform the same
functions that our DMZ web servers perform.  Perhaps something that can
act as a go-between or proxy, which we can be sufficiently locked-down.
Anybody know of anything that can do this,
[snip]

I'm going *way* out on a limb, here, as I'm only *very* vaguely aware
of this technology, but isn't this kind of thing what Java Beans (and
some of the other Java enterprise technologies) was designed for?

The philosophy is that in, say, an extranet situation, your customer
never actually "touches" your db server, for example.  Instead,
communications between that customer and your db server are handled by
passing "beans" around.  (This is how I recall it.  Don't laugh too
hard if I'm a bit off, okay? ;).)

Theoretically speaking (again: from recollection), one designs into the
"beans" what can and cannot be transported by them.

Or something like that ;).

--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
jseymour () LinxNet com         | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html