Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sources for Extranet Designs?

From: "Steven A. Fletcher" <sfletcher () bcsc com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:43:22 -0600

My opinion on that would that it's up to the clients to protect
themselves.  Recently, I set up a connection for a law enforcement
customer who would be accessing a county database and a state wide
database through this connection.  Other county departments would also
be accessing this same network.  Since I was already putting in a
firewall as a requirement for this connection, I included a third NIC so
that the internal network would be protected from this other network
also.

My theory is that if I can't control anything on that network, then I'm
not going to trust it.  This applies to the Internet, so why should it
not apply to other unfamiliar, untrusted networks?  I would spell this
out in the partner agreement to alleviate any liability.

Steve Fletcher
Senior Network Engineer, MCSE, Master ASE, CCNA
BCSC Technology Solutions
Phone: (309)664-8129
Toll Free: (888) 764-8100 ext. 129
Fax: (309) 662-6421