Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to Save The World (was: Antivirus vendor conspiracy theories)

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:10:31 -0500 (EST)

"Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net> wrote:

[snip]

I've had it tried on my more times than I can count.  Where it was an
active concern, I provided some sort of measurement to executive
management- however- my better and standard answer was to point out that
security was *mandated* by the *policy* for what they wanted to do, so if
they wanted to do it _faster_, I'd be happy to spec out faster machines
and more networking gear to meet their requirements should they wish to
budget for it.

Not one single taker.  Ever.
[snip]

Funny how that happens, innit?  Or this one: "Sure, we could relax the
border security.  Please understand, however, that when you follow my
recommendations: I take ownership.  If something goes wrong, I go to
work on it as soon as possible and spend however much time it takes to
fix it.  Fail to heed my advice and *you* take ownership.  This means
you aren't allowed to call me in the middle of the night, on weekends
or whilst I'm on vacation, should the wheels fall off.  Recovery takes
place entirely on your time, not mine.  Choose."

Jim