Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Antivirus vendor conspiracy theories

From: "Dave Piscitello" <dave () corecom com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:01:18 -0500

Don't raise your hopes too high. Spyware is a big-revenue addition to
desktop security suites.

I've been speaking with a number of vendors for several columns and
reviews I hope to publish soon. I think you can *safely* expect
traditional AV vendors to do what they've done with PFWs and
incorporate spyware detection/blocking/removal under the guise of a
common GUI, alongside their core AV engine. My suspicion is that when
you open Task Manager on WinXP a year from now, RAM will be bloated
with even more services providing "prophylaxis" against the many
forms of malware.

What seems very different with spyware (to me) is the staggering
number of bogus products. I don't recall dozens upon dozens of
companies claiming they removed viruses when they in fact *infected*
systems, do you?

Compare to the current situation with spyware. When I isit the pest
and spyware encyclopedia of the half dozen products I have tried and
consider reputable, I find they all identify more than a dozen other
purported "antispyware software" as spyware. Digging deeper, you can
corroborate their claims by visiting "environmentalist/activist"
antispyware sites. Several post copies of the EULA and privacy
policies of these deceptive products, and by my definition, the
companies identified as bogus do in fact exhibit characteristics I
associate with adware, from collecting personal information to
persistent installs (reinstall after removal).

Frankly, the problem is not exclusively IE (BHOs notwithstanding). Ad-
sponsored freeware (the self-inflicted wound) and deception (social
engineering) aren't things we can easily rectify.

So I think the market is a greenfield opportunity.