Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Lists of IP's we should be blocking

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 13:32:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Adam Shostack wrote:

If you're a bank, and your answer is yes, you want me calling with my
spyware concerns, please let me know which bank.  I'll have everyone I
know open up a $100 savings account with you so that people stop
calling me with their spyware problems.

Have them call me, I could use the money ;)

The belief that a list of 'bad identities' will help security is
suprisingly persistant.  We see it distorting air travel safety.
(Just ask Congressmen Ted Kennedy or John Lewis, or any David Nelson
you meet, or Johnnie Thomas, or...)  Let's not let it distort internet
security as well.

I've been playing a little with a contact Web site[1][2] that "introduces"
folks by degrees of separation-  I'm wondering if we could whitelist 90%
of the Internet that way with some relatively simple mail parsing programs
and a web of trust of a couple hundred people on this list?

Paul