Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: CISCO VPN Concentrator and setting MTU per VPN Connection

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:12:46 -0400

It's true in that you can only set the MTU on the concentrator (or the client) by interface.  Worse yet, doing so drops
*all* tunnels on the concentrator, forcing them to rebuild.  The concentrator admin is wise to avoid this if possible.

That said, changing the MTU setting on the client and concentrator interfaces may not be necessary, depending on your
problem.  If the problem has to do with packets that are encapsulated being fragmented, you can address this by
modifying the IPSec Fragmentation Policy on the client, the concentrator, or both.  Try changing this setting to
'fragment prior to encap w/ path discovery' (probably not the exact wording, but close enough).  This will set the
defrag bit on fragmented packets and the concentrator should reorder and defrag packets as they are decapsulated on its
internal interface.  This may require making the same change on the concentrator, but try changing it on just the
client first.

Good luck!

PaulM