Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: CISCO VPN Concentrator and setting MTU per VPN Conne ction

From: TSimons () Delphi-Tech com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:03:21 -0400

Wade-
Where are you changing the MTU?  ...I just went through this with different
hardware, it turned out we needed to change the MTU of the hosts that would
be using the VPN.

If Packet = x bytes

Local LAN Packet:       x
VPN Packet:     x + vpn header

In our case, any value of x < 1410, yielded fragmented packets through the
VPN.

<snip from another article>
"...Unfortunately, the length of header+pad seems to depend on the data
being encrypted, as well as the crypto algorithm.  Perhaps a good rough
figure is just to adjust down by 40 bytes (outer IP + 20 bytes of ESP
header/pad)."

~Todd