Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: [OT] tcpdump parsing

From: "Austin, Greg" <gaustin () RKON com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:11:34 -0500

What sort of mail system is it?  Does the system in question support
relaying for authenticated hosts?  If so I've seen a recent spate of
people who aren't configured to relay being used as relays when
configured this way.

It seems spammers are using automated authlogin attempts using the names
of standard accounts, and guessing easy passwords.  If this may apply to
your situation check the boxes for any weak passwords.

You might also just want to filter your dumps for strings like:

YWRtaW5pc3RyYXRvcg0K ("administrator" in base64)

Or

cGFzc3dvcmQ= ("password" in base64)

I've seen this a half dozen times in the last few months, and in every
case I've found successful bogus authlogins from hosts in China and
other odd places in my sniffer traces.  Usually the local admin account
on the box had a brilliant password like "administrator" or <blank>.
Incidentally, these were all Exchange boxes patched up to the latest.
Can't blame MS for the poor password choices though.  Anyway, in case
this applied to your situation I thought I'd chip in with this bit.  If
it doesn't apply, ignore me (a good choice in most cases anyway).

Greg
=============================
Greg is, among other things,
a rather spectacular moron.