Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Firewall Solution - 50 Users on SDSL Connection

From: "Dan Harp" <danharp () brenius com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:39:05 -0400

Greetings,

We have about 50 IP devices (workstations, servers, etc.) on a
100Mbps CAT5 network internally, and our connection to the 'Net
is SDSL.

We are looking for a relatively inexpensive (or open source)
firewall device that does the following:

Inbound filtering:
        -ICMP, Ports (135, etc.), "default deny"
        -What about file extension filtering?

Outbound filtering:
        -Does not allow unnecessary LAN traffic out
        -Possibly file extension filtering?

Currently, web, mail, and dns are being hosted externally.
Although, we have internal e-mail via MS Mail, with about half
with Internet access and external e-mail POP accounts, (which
is currently downloaded separately per user).

Additionally, there is no external access to the internal network
via VPN, nor laptop users, except for terminal services for the
servers, which is the only port forwarded through NAT currently.

Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

- Dan