Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: File type filtering (Was: Firewall Solution - 50 Users on SDSL Connection)

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 11:30:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Mikael Olsson wrote:

*meep* everything microsoft ignores mime type. It looks at the
extension first, and *then* at the mine type.

Filtering products shouldn't.  In case it wasn't clear, I was suggesting
gateway filtering at the application layer.

Hence, if you have microsoft boxen in your network, the only reliable
solution is whitelisting; deny everything, then allow the cross
section of allowed mime types AND file extensions.  By cross section
I mean that the mime type has to be good AS WELL AS the extension.

If you're going that far, you'll want to nuke the mismatched MIME stuff
too.

Actually, the situation improves somewhat if you stay away from
IE and Outlook.  Netscape/mozilla and various other apps obey the
mime type before the extension, which is a Good Thing.  But you
shouldn't be using IE/Outlook to begin with if you want any level
of security ... right?

Right.

http://www.ntbugtraq.com/default.asp?pid=36&sid=1&A2=ind0310&L=ntbugtraq&F=P&S=&P=4202

Says it about as well as it's been said.

Paul