Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: trusted & untrusted ports

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:34:31 +0100

Hilal Hussein wrote:

Q1 - How to identifiy trust vs untrusted ports. [...]

Recommended reading:

http://www.interhack.net/pubs/fwfaq/#SECTION00094000000000000000
- C.4 How do I determine what service the port is for?
- C.5 What ports are safe to pass through a firewall?

Q2 -  Reading some technical documents about accessing applications over the
net, I noticed that sometimes the connection is not a client/server
technique, it could be through the http port, in other words, no need to
open specific port in order to be able to access the net application from
within our network coorporate since it is using the http port.

... but does that mean that it is _safe_?
(Hint: the answer lies in C.5, above)

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden