Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

trusted & untrusted ports

From: "Hilal Hussein" <hilalma () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 07:21:34 +0000

Dear List,

I would like to open ports in my firewall so that i can access some applications out of my network. consequently, I have two questions:

1 - How I can Identify trusted ports vs. Untrusted ports ? assuming trust is directly concern with the security prespective (include virus, worms, hack, ...).

2 - corret me from wrong please. "There are two types of applications: web application (access through the http port), and client/server application (access through a defined port should be opened on the internet gateway).

your feedback and respond are highly appreciated.

honeslty, I am getting very good information out of this email list, so hopefully the answers will be benifitial to me and other members will to improve their knowledge base.

regards,

Hilal