Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Monitoring

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 07:48:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Paul Dokas wrote:

You've got to be kidding.  If these are their requirement, then why are
they attached to the Internet at all?  Email is the moron's file transfer
protocol, therefore I suggest that you're only going to catch morons by
examining email.

You'd be surprised at how many morons send valuable intellectual property
to themselves, their friends and to the competitor they're going to work
for next week.  It's probably not all that bad a thing to check for in
most environments, *including* IT environments where they should "know
better."

Anyone who's serious about stealing information and has half a brain is
not going to use the Internet connection at all.  They're going to walk
out the front door with a CD-R or a couple of floppies.

I've investigated both sorts of incidents.  E-mail is much more common,
CDs tend to require an "all at once" methodology that leaves tracks just
as big as "one piece at a time" via e-mail (or all-at-once via E-mail.)

How many companies even check to see who's emailing from their company to
their competitors, let alone block it?

Paul