Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Traffic Monitoring

From: Paul Dokas <dokas () cs umn edu>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 19:44:31 -0500

On Tue, 6 May 2003 09:54:13 +0500, "Zahid Ahmad Khan" <zahid () expertsystems net> wrote:
A research organization has asked me to look at an interesting
situation. They are paranoid about pilferage of research work and want
to monitor and log all email traffic (Vectors and contents of POP, SMTP
& IMAP). They require the following:

1) Log all in and out bound emails (All employees have been duly
informed of the fact).
2) Generate email vector logs.
3) Flag and stop any email with unauthorized contents.
4) Only interested in traffic on the WAN and Internet interface (E-1,
E-3, OC-3, POS)
5) Do not want to log or see any internal traffic which might be contain
sensitive R&D info.

You've got to be kidding.  If these are their requirement, then why are
they attached to the Internet at all?  Email is the moron's file transfer
protocol, therefore I suggest that you're only going to catch morons by
examining email.

Anyone who's serious about stealing information and has half a brain is
not going to use the Internet connection at all.  They're going to walk
out the front door with a CD-R or a couple of floppies.

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas () cs umn edu