Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Re: SMTP Proxies and Application Proxies for Lotus Domino

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:37:04 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com] On Behalf
Of Joseph Steinberg
[...]
Whale Communications offers a Lotus-specific proxy that
provides numerous
security functions including URL filtering, browser-side
security, Air Gap
isolation, and more. For more information please see:
www.whalecommunications.com/lotus

Ah, the Air Gap. My favourite firewall snake oil.

Actually, though, the article linked from that page (including a snazzy
picture of Mr Steinberg) "Secure Remote Access to Domino" is a very good
overview, if you cover your ears and go 'la la la la' when you get to the
'airgap' bits.

Message: 2
From: "Jeff B" <bolesjb () yahoo com>
[...]
Proxying
domino is a
big unknown - anybody seen/done this, or have recommendations?

For Domino webstuff there are lots of nonobvious URLs and characters that
you need to block. Litchfield did a good article which covers a lot of
stuff, but it's a bit old, and I hope never to have to do Domino work again,
so I haven't researched this for a while.

http://www.nextgenss.com/papers/hpldws.pdf

Essentially, the basic "put another domino server in the DMZ and replicate"
architecture works sort of OK, but I'd be less happy with the "put a reverse
proxy in front of the domino part of the important box" idea. The really
critical thing is not to let the Internet talk on 1352 to your Notes box.

I once played with a very simple mail relay that was COTS for NT4, but I
forget the name now. :( The point is that there does exist a windoze
solution that does nothing but simple SMTP relay. Jeff - clearly you know
you should use a stripped open source box running qmail or postfix. Why not
pay a local place to paint something red? ;)

ben