Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: OT: FTP Servers

From: Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 23:18:19 +0800

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 04:23:07PM -0400, Paul Robertson wrote:
[Because FTP is one of my favorite dead horses...]

FTP/TLS seems to have attracted quite a bit of commercial interest.

See this page:

  http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext.html

Lists both commercial and free ware.

_Try_ *really* hard to use an HTTP server, FTP is a horrible protocol.  If
you can't do that, vsftpd or something like that's bound to be better than
WU (which sits near the top of my "Historically broken software" list.)

In all those cases I know of regarding setting up FTP servers, automated
uploads were envisaged. (Sometimes without the uploading side being up
front about the automation bit.) This meant scripts that hardcoded
usernames and passwords, which, in time, became well-known and too
expensive to change.

OP might want to clarify who or _what_ will be using the FTP server.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps () netmemetic com>