Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

OT: FTP Servers

From: John Smith <john.smith () minolta-qms com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 13:51:04 -0500

All,

I have been tasked to build a FTP server. I have selected the OS (a Unix variant that I know how to strip down to bare bones). The last time I built a Unix FTP server (roughly five years ago) I used WU-FTPD.

My question is this: Is WU-FTPD still a good FTP server to use? The pros are I am experienced with it and it works very well in installations I have done. The (potential) con is the fact that there hasn't been a new release of the code since 11/2001 (2.6.2). I haven't seen new exploits for it, so I don't know if the code is that stable or if it isn't being maintained anymore. The home page (www.wu-ftpd.org) was last updated 2/18/2003.

If WU-FTPD is not a good FTP server to use or there are better (i.e. - more secure) servers out there, what would you suggest? The needs for the site are anonymous FTP, potentially some 'real' FTP users, and up to 500 simultaneous FTP connections. And of course the FTP server should be free. :-)

   Thank you.

John