Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Blocking Kazaa

From: "Whiteside, Larry [contractor]" <BAE14 () SPHQ SSP NAVY MIL>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:24:47 -0400

Due to the way Kazaa functions it is going to be hard to block it via the traditional blocking methods (ports,
protocols). The best way to defend against this type of issue is POLICY. I would go straight to the Executives and
explain the problem (legality, viruses, trojans, etc.). This is to help facilitate them approving a policy quickly.
Once it has been approved get it on the street and begin to punish those people that are breaking the policy. Once a
few folks realize this could get them in trouble, it will cut it out. With the economy the way it is the one leverage
you have is no one wants to lose their job.

Larry Whiteside Jr.
Sr. Security Engineer/Security Program Manager