Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: linux firewall

From: "Jeremiah Cornelius" <jeremiah () nur net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:37:39 -0700

I am trying to find a out of the box linux firewall with proper Admin
tools
etc ... anyone got any ideas?

Take a very good look at Astaro Security Linux.  This is a commercial
implementation with a free "personal use" version.  It does everything a
firewall should and much more - including wlan security, traffic shaping,
web proxy, content filter, smtp proxy, IPSec and PPTP, etc.  Underlying
technologies are netfilter, squid, etc.  Best management interface I have
seen - web-based UI that adapts complexity in-context to the task.  Makes
Nokia's 'Voyager' UI for Checkpoint FW-1 look sad and lame.
http://www.astaro.com/
http://www.astaro.com/data/news/pdf/gb_37.pdf

If you are in the wholly- free-software camp, then your best bet is IPCop.
This is a very adequate firewall, with good web-UI.  It began as a fork of
SmoothWall, but surpasses the latter in quality and user-community support.
1.3 was just released on Linux 2.4/netfilter, plus  FreeS/WAN.  Joe Bob
says: "check 'er out."
http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/WebHome

Mandrake also makes a firewall-specific distro.  I have only
'kicked-the-tires' on it, so to speak, but was reasonably pleased. They
recently added support for multiple (more than two) attached networks. It is
avaliable as an ISO image for download.
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/mnf/features

If you want a BSD/ipf based wall, check out m0n0wall! The autor has turned
bsd init on ot head (actually he dumps rc for an xml config), but it has all
the advantages of a FreeBSD solution, with a very nice _armoured_ PHP web
front-end.  He can install on Compact Flash, etc.
http://m0n0.ch/wall/

--Jeremiah Cornelius, CISSP, CCNA
farm9 Security