Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: blocking hotmail and microsoft messenger traffic

From: "Bob Wanamaker - Avant Systems, Inc." <rlw () avantsystems com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:45:04 -0400

Couldn't you just block port 80 traffic to the IP's for microsoft.com for
everybody in your organization?  There might not be any legitimate reason
for individual hosts on your network to talk to the borg on port 80 - I know
it's that way for a lot of companies.  Better yet, block all ports to the
borg except for smtp to/from your mailservers...

As far as messenger goes, that uses port 80 as well, but I don't know if it
can "peer" with other IP's independently of contacting the borg.

Other options include an installation of WebSense, or a proxy server, and
then denying urls at the application level.