Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

re: A little paranoia for the weekend... (OT)

From: Mike Hoskins <mike () adept org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 13:34:32 -0700 (PDT)

From: "Josh Welch" <jwelch () buffalowildwings com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:46:19 -0500
Think of this when someone tries to tell you how "secure" web based
remote pc applications are.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/07/23/cybercafe.security.ap/index.html

Not so sure it's firewall related, but it's definately nothing new...  I
recall when BO (Back Orifice) was first released, various groups at a
local 2600 meeting were going around to bookstores, coffe shops, school
libraries, etc...  anywhere they could get to a computer...  and trojaning
the systems.  (That included keylogging among other things.)  Around the
same time, I noticied evidence of BO in many of the PCs in our school
labs.  (Luckily, CS/CE students mostly stuck to SPARCs. ;)

True paranoia would insist that you never type a reusable password on an
untrusted machine...  Untrusted being any machine you haven't audited
since it was last out of sight/network connected.  ;)

-mrh