Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Antivirus on a free UN*X (Linux/*BSD) platform

From: "Bojan Zdrnja" <Bojan.Zdrnja () FER hr>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:49:38 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com
[mailto:firewall-wizards-admin () honor icsalabs com]On Behalf Of Meco
Sent: 6. sijeèanj 2003 23:36
To: Josh Welch
Cc: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Antivirus on a free UN*X (Linux/*BSD) platform

But I would like to do it in a _transparent_ way, because:
    1) The mail system in not in house (it is outsourced). I
don't want
to change this, because we don't have a big IT staff, and don't have
time to do system administration a mail system.
    2) People in my company are permitted to use their
home/email (and I
don't want to change this policy), with their po3/imap/smtp services,
where they receive     personal email & virus. :(

I want a TRANSPARENT antivirus check.

The best solution for you in this case is to use a firewall which supports
CVP (Content Vectoring Protocol).
In this case it'll probably be Checkpoint FW-1, which has CVP configured to
send SMTP traffic to some anti-virus server which supports CVP (ie. Trend
Micro or Kaspersky). This works completely transparent to end user, however
I think that this combination will check only SMTP, HTTP and FTP - leaving
POP3 or IMAP not checked!

Best regards,

Bojan Zdrnja