Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Acqusition of time

From: "Martin Peikert" <Martin.Peikert () discon de>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 16:03:43 +0100

Reckhard, Tobias wrote:

ntpd periodically (every hour, I believe) saves the current clock drift to a

From the man page: it's true what you - em, believe.

drift file, typically /etc/ntp.drift. When the daemon starts, it initializes
the drift of its state machine using the value in this file in an effort to
speed up synchronisation (and especially it settling down). I believe it
will apply this correction to the clock even when running in an
unsynchronised state, i.e. when it can't reach any reliable peers or
servers.

But in comparison to clockspeed, the ntp driftfile is written every hour - a quite small amount of time to calculate the drift.

You shouldn't make the typical mistake of configuring the local clock as a

Of course, you should read (and understand) the fine man page ;-)

| clockspeed uses a hardware tick counter to compensate for a
| persistently fast or slow system clock. Given a few time | measurements from a reliable source, it computes and then
| eliminates the clock  skew.

Of course this only works as long as the clock skew is constant, resulting
in linear drift if uncompensated. This is an OK assumption for quartzes
running at fixed levels of temperature, such as the clocks in always-on
servers in a thermally controlled server room. It is not OK for your typical
workstation.

Didn't we talk about servers, firewalls IIRC, where logs are time-critical? Anyway, if your servers are in a thermically controled room (as I thope they are ;-), clockspeed will do the job.

| Typical success story: I started clockspeed on one of my Pentium
| computers at home on 1998-05-05. I ran sntpclock (through a 28.8
| dialup line) once on 1998-05-05 and once on 1998-05-30. On | 1998-08-22, after no network time input for nearly three months, the
| clock was just 0.21 seconds off.

This rating is rather subjective, of course. .21 seconds equates to 210 ms,

Right, I never said anything contrary. It's not my opinion, it's a quote from djb`s site and I'm sorry if I didn't indicate that in that way that everybody could see that at once.

So, if a firewall can't reach an NTP server a longer time, I would
think that you really have a problem ;-) But for a sufficient length
of time clockspeed will do the job and keep the time from drifting
too far...

Could be that ntpd will, too.

Could be? Could be that ntpd will _not_. Are you sure or not?

I myself prefer to have a stratum 1 source in the management network that

Yeah, that's what I prefer, too. But then I do not have to worry about external ntp servers and setting time and date on any of my servers - if I had a stratum 1 source in my network, I would never need anything _like_ clockspeed. But that wasn't the assumption of Ben Nagy I answered:

Ben Nagy wrote:
> If a firewall can't reach an NTP server because of some transient
> network condition the clock doesn't automatically go haywire - it will
> just startdrifting as per the normal accuracy of the hardware clock,
> no?

So, I just wanted to give the hint that clockspeed is able to do a good job if there is *temporarily no ntp source available*.

Of course, when faced with The Real World (TM) this  setup often
remains a dream..

ACK.

GTi