Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Acqusition of time

From: "dave" <dave () netmedic net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 18:45:57 -0500

Actually it is true and maybe has happened.

You are comparing physical evidence discovered by LEO/I and that followed
the rules for evidentiary handling.  Note, if just one bad seed "fruits of
the poisonous tree" contaminates this, the whole of the evidence is no
longer eligible.

I will give you a "hypothetical" or "maybe not" situation involving say
(just randomly picking here :) ) the audit trail of an e-mail server.

Lets just say the crime happened 2 months ago, and was discovered by the IT
auditor at the said business who spent another two weeks looking through
logs, e-mails etc. until he found the "evidence" he was looking for.  He
then calls the proper authorities and says hey look what I found.

This would be a field day for a good attorney.  Could he prove that this
auditor contaminated the evidence? And, if so in how many ways?

I could think of a few, of course this is just my opinion, not saying I ever
saw it happen or anything like that.

Dave Kleiman
dave () netmedic net
www.netmedic.net