Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Query on OS hardening

From: m p <sumirati () yahoo de>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:41:29 +0100 (CET)

 --- Tim Chettle <tim.chettle () orange net> schrieb:
My question is as to what methods people use to manage and monitor the
underlying Unix operating systems on the firewalls. SNMP doesnt seem the
best thing to be running on the Firewall itself so how would people suggest
that i monitore the OS

At the last customer I worked for we developed a small program which takes
connections via SSL. On the firewall was an access list for the managment
servers to allow connections to that port. Upon connect the IP and a pre-shared
secret was checked. A simple string was passed to the server. That string was
checked against a list on a per IP base with allowed/disallowed parameters.
Then predefined shell scripts with the correct parameter settings were
executed. STDOUT of ps, df, du, .... was passed back to the client.

2 weeks at max to write up the code again if you work fulltime on it. Sadly the
company would not release the code to the public.

Marc