Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Allowing DNS servers to operate behind NetScreen 500

From: Volker Tanger <volker.tanger () discon de>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:17:16 +0100

Greetings!

Reckhard, Tobias wrote:
Back from the weekend, I find my post has stirred up a bit of a debate..

On Saturday, February 15, 2003 4:11 AM, Rob Payne wrote:
On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 08:58:41AM +0100, Reckhard, Tobias wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2003 3:39 AM, Rob Payne

get in the way of (DNS) security when zones start getting signed.
(Rhetorical: Has anyone attempted to fit current DNS data plus
RSA/SHA1 keys and signatures in packets 512 datagrams long?)

No, it is not. The reason for my response was that I don't know of any
currently relevant reason for DNS responses to be over 512 bytes in size.

Well, I've seen - and that was not even signed DNS. The idi... ahem... programmers of that system (mis)used fake hostnames to hold session-ID and shopping basket content. And that easily went beyond UPD packet size quite often. Cacheing did not work with that system either.

Bye

Volker Tanger
IT-Security Consulting

--