Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPTables QUEUE target equivalency in other firewalls

From: John Dorsey <dorsey () colquitt org>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:37:49 -0600

Rod,

Netfilter/IPTables supports a target of QUEUE which delivers packets to
a userspace interface where they can be modified,inspected etc.  For
[deletia]

Do any other firewalls have a similar function?  I am particularly
interested in ipFilter, ipfw, packetfilter, or PIX (I know PIX is highly
unlikely since it is more of a dedicated appliance).

        It's not exactly the same, but the PIX has a 'capture' feature
that lets you collect packets that match an acl, and view a summary or
offload elsewhere.  I think it exports pcap format; I usually just
inspect them online.  You can't modify packets with it.

        I don't know any way to automate it without 'expect' or
equivalent.

Thanks for the information.

        yw.

Cheers,