Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

WatchGuard

From: larsmith <larsmith () tds net>
Date: 13 Dec 2003 21:53:42 -0500

I've seen very little about WatchGuard, either pro or con, here on the
list.

Is this because "everyone" does Cisco / CheckPoint ?  Or because
objective InfoSec people don't find adequate justification for
implementing WatchGuard ?  Or is there another reason or other reasons ?

I ask this question in the light of what has guided many in the past
with regard to acquiring and implementing various products in a work
environment.

In the "old days", people implemented Lotus 123 "cause everyone was
doing it".  The same goes for DBase III ... and now-a-days, how so many
work places "trust" MS-based PC's.

Their decisions are not always objective but too often are more of a
"flock" mentality where they simply follow where the other sheep seem to
be going.

If there are objective reviews of WatchGuard's current products and
their respective feasibility in the work place, please direct me to
them.

I'm VERY curious as to how they size up against the two products which
I've seen most mentioned on lists I've found on the NMap / SecList site.

Though I recognize that subjective opinions are certainly a valid and
viable part of our culture and "real-world experience", I would respond
best to objective reviews of what WatchGuard offers ( and/or doesn't
offer ) so that I can include these reviews in our decision-making
processes.