Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: worm + VPN + firewall

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:11:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Carric Dooley wrote:

I agree that the VPN segment should be DMZ'd, but typically those users
have acess to NetBIOS so they can map shares, etc. If you didn't patch,
you are hosed on this one. Lots of people didn't learn from Nimda.

But they normally only really need to map shares on a handful of servers,
so firewalls can still be effective.

Let's face it- VPNs should be more restricted than internal users for
most, if not all implementations.  Other than "single computer, owned by
the organization, administered by the organization, without anything
personal on it"- VPNs raise significant issues when it comes to trust,
administration, ownership, multihoming, etc.

Paul