Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: worm + VPN + firewall

From: "Ames, Neil" <NAmes () anteon com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:49:54 -0400

Morty,
        I agree, but I see some bigger problems.  Are you hoping to protect from all VPNs, to include SSL?  What about
other avenues for infection.  A mobile user who traverses the perimeter with an infected machine is the equivalent
problem.  You need absolute policy compliance or absolute control of the network for that kind of protection.  Kind of
hard.  That's why the AV vendors are coming out with pretty good host-based firewalls tacked right onto the AV utility.
 That's why Microsoft made a point of telling their customers, in the reaction to blaster, to look into filtering by
ports on every host.  I *do* look forward to some juicy VPN infection stories, but to bolster the greater security
arguments not just firewalling VPN end-points (with which I agree).

Thank you,

Fritz