Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

re: NAT for a simple network

From: "Robert E. Martin" <rmartin () fishburne org>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:37:26 -0400

"in general, you should verify packets are
not allowed to the device from the big bad Internet.  you may also want to
only allow local access from select IP addresses or subnets."

So if I deny all from the outside coming in and allow all from the inside to go out, I should have the beginnings of a secure firewall.?!??!! This is not to say that it is a catch all but a start. Perhaps add rule stating only the internal subnet goes out and to deny all others. As I stated before, this is a simple network, no services coming in from the outside, just internet access for the subnet inside and dhcp running on the gateway. Thanks to all that replied to this original post. This is a valuable resource to me. Thanks again!!
--
Robert E Martin
IT Manager