Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

NAT for a simple network

From: "Robert E. Martin" <rmartin () fishburne org>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:37:22 -0400

I am setting up a simple network for a small office of 10 machines. The office users will only have internet access. There will be no mail server or web server (yet). Telco will provide DSL. I was thinking that a simple device like a DLINK DI804 or DFL80 would do the job for simple security and minimal overhead and provde for port forwarding for the future web server/mail server. I had thought that NAT at the gateway would be secure enough for a situation like this. With reading the post about Home Appliances, the default is "allow any out", "deny any in" for appliances like this. Does this mean this is "stateful packet inspection"? Are there any thoughts about this?
--
Robert E Martin
IT Manager