Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application requires VPN - How are these handled?

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:38:26 +0200

Paul Robertson wrote:

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Mikael Olsson wrote:
Assume that you do work for two large companies. A and B.
They both mandate single-box VPN clients.

As previously mentioned, you have no control over what enters your
network through the VPN connection. Now, assume that A and B are
fierce competitors.  Here's a scenario:
- A attacks your workstation; there's nothing stopping them
- From that workstation, the leap is very short to the next one,
  which happens to have a tunnel to company B
- A can attack B, using the workstations on your LAN as
  a springboard

Now, assume that these were LAN-to-LAN tunnels instead, with
proper security controls in place. Here's what'd happen:

If you can add "proper security controls" to a LAN situation, you should
be able to add them to a host situation, or you're really comparing apples
and kumquats.  At the least, that workstation can be extant to whatever
"proper security controls" are in place.

Ah, you're definitely right for the theoretical situation.
What I'm arguing against, is what I believe is happening in
this particular case: "Here's a copy of securemote, preconfigured
by us. Slap it on to a workstation. You're not allowed to tinker
with it."

Now, is $bigco likely to provide insurance to the poor bastard
stuck with the new electronic highway to a workstation inside
their LAN? Not very likely.
Is $bigco likely to provide a agreement that the poor contractor
has to sign, making them liable for any foulness that can get
into $bigco's network? Maybe.  If so, will the contractor just
accept it, smiling?  Bet on it.

I'm just trying to show that $bigco is basically being stupid
by hard-headedly requiring single-host clients. I see how it makes
sense if they know nothing about the party they're allowing access
to, or know for a fact that their security is substandard, but, to
my mind, both parties could benefit from reviewing the situation
and, in cases where it makes sense, allow the VPN tunnel to
terminate somewhere where the firewall gets to examine the traffic.

And, yes, I can see why $bigco would want to put in a clause saying
"put wireless units on your LAN and we'll sue/cut the connection".
I'm all for it :)

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden