Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:16:58 -0400

Sorry for late input to this topic, but having read the thread I'd like
to return to a point Marcus made

"The real question is whether the tunnelling system provides _ANY_
security controls above and beyond ip/src/dest/logging."

No one discussed the benefits of using an encrypted, authenticated
tunnel (SSL, SSH, ...), which do provide additional controls. If I were
developing/deploying a (presumably) distributed application *today*,
I would begin with the assumption that I need stronger authentication
than UIPW, message integrity, and message confidentiality. Many of
the problems we struggle to correct today stem from the fact that
we think of security as something orthogonal to application functionality
rather than a core component/requirement.

At 02:59 PM 4/6/2003 -0400, Marcus J Ranum wrote:
Anton A. Chuvakin wrote:
>To clarify, imagine you have to have something that need to talk thru a
>firewall from a less secure compartment to a more secure one. And the
>options are: open TCP port XXXXX (to the required host only, of course),
>or tunnel over currently open (or proxied) port 80?

Both options have the same security properties - tunnelling is pretty
much exactly the same as opening a port, except that whatever does
the tunnelling may log the event. (Which your firewall can do in the case
of opening a port)

The real question is whether the tunnelling system provides _ANY_
security controls above and beyond ip/src/dest/logging. If not, then
they're 100% the same. If you can do some kind of content filtering
or control, then it might be worth it.

Protocol-over-protocol "attacks" mooted firewalls a loooooooong time
ago. We've just been cheerfully ignoring that fact. I was tunnelling
IP packets uuencoded over smtp back in the early 1990's (I guess
it would have been 1993 or -4) and got good enough RTTs that I
could even NFS-mount filesystems across a firewall once I had
tuned the NFS timeouts and retries correctly.

mjr.
---
Marcus J. Ranum                         http://www.ranum.com
Computer and Communications Security    mjr () ranum com

David M. Piscitello
Core Competence, Inc. &
3 Myrtle Bank Lane
Hilton Head, SC 29926