Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: firewall-wizards digest, Vol 1 #674 - 9 msgs

From: "Don Jones" <don.jones () linuxmail org>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:43:45 +1100

Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Statistics for Firewalls

Joe's answer is by far the best one so far.  MRTG is a >great tool and
can be snagged from
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html

I recomend trying RRDTool and an a frontend.

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

RRD tool is  fromt the same author as MRTG but is faster and more modular, it is only in charge of storing the time
series data, this enables different frontends to be used which provide the graphing, snmp polling etc. There are quite
a few good ones avalible:

Cricket:
http://cricket.sourceforge.net/

NMIS:
http://www.sins.com.au/nmis/

Cacti:
http://www.raxnet.net/products/cacti/

I have some experience with the 3 above and they are all good, cricket does no frills graphing, nmis provides more
information than just the graphs and cacti provides "pretty" graphs.

There are numerous other frontends avalible:

http://freshmeat.net/search?q=rrdtool

Overall this solution is recomended for graphing router interfaces, switch ports and the like, but can be modified to
graph any time series data avalible via snmp.

Regards

Don Jones