Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

ATM security

From: "Alan Rudd" <arudd () bytex com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:51:10 -0400

Dear FW Wizards:
Is anyone aware of any commercial products (or any home grown ones), that
provide enterprise-wide visibility (mapping and monitoring) and/or
security/intrusion prevention/detection solutions for the OC3 and OC12 ATM
circuits that a lot of IP traffic travels on?   There are many products that
provide these capabilities for pure IP/Ethernet, but as ATM is still widely
used to provide Quality of Service and bandwidth management capability it
often becomes a neglected security issue - i.e. the (false) notion that "an
ATM (switched/cell-based) network won't get cracked".

As part of a very small company that is developing something along these
lines using floating point gate-array silicon technology (versus an ASIC), I
would like to discuss the potential issues and uses with any interested
parties that might help our research and development, as we are about to
deploy an "alpha" stage pilot project with a customer in October.

Regards

Alan J. Rudd
Bytex Corporation
495 Commerce Park, Suite S2