Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Ancillary FW function: Filtering (mildly OT?) query

From: John McDermott <jjm () jkintl com>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:20:30 -0600

Greetings,
I recently installed a firewall for a local start-up public school. The hardware died and I replaced the box with an old PC and LEAF (Bearing). The issue of content filtering came up. I do not want to start a political discussion about that! I do have a technological question, though: if we decide that we do need some filtering in order to comply with governmental rules, what products are useful for a Linux-based FW (with mostly XP clients)?

The plan has been to use Dansguardian. I can to that. I was also wondering if there were something better. I also wonder if there is something that requires less software. Dansguardian needs apache and perl to display the (single) "you've been blocked" page. I would like to display something, but a static page is fine for me.

Any suggestions on lightweight or heavyweight blocking sw I can use would help.

Thanks
--john
--
John McDermott