Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Anti-Warchalking attack?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 15:53:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Scott, Richard wrote:

to ensure secure Wireless networks are architected.  By posting signs, isn't
this entrapment and enticement mixing in that gray area again?  It will

If I'm enticing them to either a network that doesn't exist or to a
honeynet (one might just say I'm advertising my honeynet) then it's only a
big deal if (a) I'm a government, or (b) if I intend to prosecute them for
hitting my honeynet.  I'd just use the honeynet for gathering MAC
addresses, recon patterns, etc.

Good point though, so to be clear, I'm most certainly not advocating
enticing folks to enter your "real" network and monitoring and prosecuting
them.  In that case, I think the company would deserve the thrashing it'd
(hopefully) get from the defense.

That's part of my problem with this whole scheme though- there is zero
authenticity in marks on a wall.

depend on the virtue of the law of that country.  These signs could be
interpreted as common hobo public signs that are used to permit access to a
resource.  I am not going to venture to far down this road however, because
as soon as you begin injecting incorrect information, the users will only
address that data from trusted sources, the underground.

They're going to do that anyway though- but those are the folks you
*really* want to guard against and take action against, not the ones who
think that finding marks on a wall is an indication of their 'leet hax0r
skillz.

Poor protocol choices are poor protocol choices, if it's FTP, WEP or
deciding that marks on a wall are indicative of permission to use a network.

We quickly get into murkier gray areas where an employee without
authorization decides it can't hurt to invite anyone in sight of the
building onto the network.  Let's say I work at a retail company, and I
decide that all my high school buddies should be able to surf the 'Net
through that company's wireless network, and what the heck- I just got
this 'leet chalking card...  So I post the SSID and WEP key that my cash
register[1] is using on the outside of the building.  Now, someone sees it
and uses the network to download MP3s of copyrighted materials.  Let's say
that someone else uses it to probe corporate HQ over my WAN, and a third
person decides to attack a Web site.  Now, does RIAA, go after the guy who
exercised "free speech" on the side of the building, the company, the
end-user, or some combination of the above?  Does the company go after
the employee (and for what?) How would the retailer protect itself?  How
would it distinguish folks "just using the advertised network" from those
who were "malicious?" What about the bad press?  Is the bad guy probing
corporate safe from prosecution because of the implied invitation?

Once again, we're already stuck with crappy insecure protocols on the
transport side.  I'm not a big fan of coupling them with crappy protocols
on the usage side.

Paul
[1] Those who'd decide that such things shouldn't be connected to the
Internet would also decide that nobody'd put in-the-clear 802.11 traffic
in a retail POS environment[2].
[2] Sorry, it's just such a good example that I couldn't resist.