Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Anti-Warchalking attack?

From: "Scott, Richard" <Richard.Scott () BestBuy com>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:53:50 -0500

<snip>
The last thing we need is some poor innocent being prosecuted for hacking
because they saw a chalk with the WEP key and SSID and thought it was made
by the network operator, but it was really put there by the
receptionist's ex-husband.

Our choices include (a) try to educate every network operator, (b) try to
hunt down all the bad guys, (c) get the vendors to ship things securely, (d)

make the practice useless, or (e) ignore it all.  The first few haven't
worked for much of anything else computer-wise.

</snip>

I totally agree, but this chalking thing is something that isn't going to be
stopped by a deliberate use of incorrect information, nor will it prevent
the curious to seek other networks.  Paul summed it up as the real answer is
to ensure secure Wireless networks are architected.  By posting signs, isn't
this entrapment and enticement mixing in that gray area again?  It will
depend on the virtue of the law of that country.  These signs could be
interpreted as common hobo public signs that are used to permit access to a
resource.  I am not going to venture to far down this road however, because
as soon as you begin injecting incorrect information, the users will only
address that data from trusted sources, the underground.

Hence, these chalk signs are nothing new.  If you were to speak to those in
the underground such abbreviations will continually be shared.

Cheers
r.

Richard Scott
INFORMATION SECURITY
Best Buy World Headquarters
7075 Flying Cloud Drive
Eden Prairie, MN 55344 USA

The views expressed in this email do not represent Best Buy
or any of its subsidiaries