Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NTLM authentication from DMZ

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:04:38 -0400 (EDT)

On 25 Sep 2002, Steffen Kluge wrote:

Heh, that's exactly what I'm about to have to implement here. I'm planning
to use Apache+mod_proxy+mod_ssl and RSA SecurID in front of an OWA server.
Does anyone by chance have any pointers to hints on how to set up such a
baby?

That's what I had planned at first, too, but I seemed to big and complex
for a simple task. I ended up putting the Exchange and OWA boxes on the

That depends on your level of trust in two things:  OWA/IIS and your
user's credentials...

internal network, and a simple reverse proxy that can also act as SSL
wrapper onto the DMZ. Authentication is done by OWA. The firewall allows
only 443/tcp from Internet to reverse proxy, and 80/tcp from reverse
proxy to OWA. The proxy software I'm using is pound. Still beta and with
some stability issues but very promising.

You're exposing OWA via a proxy, and since the historical attacks against
it have been in-band, the proxy really isn't buying all that much
security-wise.

Unless you're handing out client-side certs (and we've had the SSL
complexity discussion here even before the last SSL worm,) the
authentication is going to be username/password for your user's accounts.
If those are guessable/derivable, then you're going to get a compromise
not only of the user's e-mail, but of their credentials.  Obviously, if
you're using SecureID, then your only worry is OWA/IIS's code up to the
authentication, and the risk assessment there probably depends on your
comfort level with exposing MS' code (and your proxy implementation's SSL
layer.)

I *really* like mod_proxy with authentication, and I _really_ like
Secure-ID to ensure that credentials aren't exposed unnecessarily.  It's
always been a pain to do both at the same time because the code doesn't
easily allow authentication credentials to be cached/cookied and that
sub-credential re-presented for each "hit."  Not sure if you can do any
auth with the ACE module and mod_proxy- I'm not sure if a proxy can even
issue a cookie, though I'm sure with some frames and proxypass, it
wouldn't be all that much work to code up a solution...

I've used mod_proxy with RADIUS auth for internal firewalling before, but
it's been with static name/password values.

This is probably one of those scenerios where I'd be tempted to punt to a
VPNish solution just because you introduce enough complexity and mail
tends to be important enough that there are few downsides (but I also
think building historical precedents for extending access costing money is
a relatively good thing in most organizations.)

Paul