Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NTLM authentication from DMZ

From: Steffen Kluge <kluge () fujitsu com au>
Date: 25 Sep 2002 19:08:02 +1000

On Mon, 2002-09-23 at 18:20, Reckhard, Tobias wrote:
Mikael Olsson wrote:
My first recommendation would probably be: stick something in front
of the OWA box that does SSL and authentication. If someone gets to
the OWA box, it's more or less game over; if nothing else because
of all the sensitive stuff that is usually available in people's
inboxes, public folders, etc etc.

Heh, that's exactly what I'm about to have to implement here. I'm planning
to use Apache+mod_proxy+mod_ssl and RSA SecurID in front of an OWA server.
Does anyone by chance have any pointers to hints on how to set up such a
baby?

That's what I had planned at first, too, but I seemed to big and complex
for a simple task. I ended up putting the Exchange and OWA boxes on the
internal network, and a simple reverse proxy that can also act as SSL
wrapper onto the DMZ. Authentication is done by OWA. The firewall allows
only 443/tcp from Internet to reverse proxy, and 80/tcp from reverse
proxy to OWA. The proxy software I'm using is pound. Still beta and with
some stability issues but very promising.

Cheers
Steffen.