Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: sunscreen vs netbios

From: Henry Sieff <hsieff () orthodon com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:51:27 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Mikael Olsson [mailto:mikael.olsson () clavister com]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 5:59 PM
To: todd () bsd uchicago edu
Cc: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] sunscreen vs netbios

Todd Anderson wrote:

I am having trouble getting sun to allow certian netbios traffic.

netbios works if I manually map a share
net use x: \\server\share /USER:domain\me

however, when I try to browse the network or join a domain
I never see a
response comming back to the external interface of the
sunscreen.  (using
snoop)

Generally speaking, MS networks can't be browsed through
anything with a
routing table without extra work.  The reason is their fondness for
broadcast name resolution.  Broadcasts never exit the local network.
(What?!? Is there something other than thin ethernet cable?  Naaah.)

When using NAT and NETBIOS, and routers, a couple of issues come up:

1) Some Netbios commands actually contain the IP addresses in payload; this
affects things such as domain trusts, adding computers to a domain, etc. If
your NAT code is not netbios aware, this can be a Problem. For more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q172227

My guess would be that you need a WINS server on the main
network, that
you configure your client to use.  Now, instead of only doing
broadcast
resolution, your client will ask the WINS server where the domain is,
and what boxes can be reached.

2) Without WINS, or the use of an lmhosts file, clients will simply try to
use WINS broadcasts to find servers, which means browsing will not work
unless you can set up the router to forward broadcasts. However, if you have
a domain controller, you can set it up and change the clients to use hybrid
mode; then they will be able to query the WINS server for resolution. The
WINS server will also act as the master browser, and it should work. For
more info: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q117633

However, if your NAT device is not NETBIOS-aware, WINS will not work
properly across it.

I am also told that W2K Dynamic DNS
will do much of the same, but I Don't Do That. :)

You are correct; W2K DDNS allows clients to update the DNS server when they
come up. Also, it will work across a NAT boundary, since it doesn't depend
on netbios name services.

It sucks, but there it is.

--
Henry