Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: httport 3snf

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:10:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Duncan wrote:

    And then; you should not even have to block all (IM, AIM, ....) access, only
monitor
    access for those that are not in compliance with the policy.

I used to think this.  I've done enough abuse investigations, and looked
at enough places now that I think that stopping the casual abusers makes
the case stronger, and means that abusers have to purposefully not only
abuse, but actively do so.

Showing malice up front makes the abuser much easier to apply corrective
action to.

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () patriot net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
probertson () trusecure com Director of Risk Assessment TruSecure Corporation

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL.  If you
immediately.